*This page may contain affiliate links. For more information please see our disclosure page/privacy statement for more information.
Celebrate you have made it to middle school past word families and simply learning to read! The elementary years can be tough churning through the multitude of words that are needed to read and write on a basic level. Your homeschooling has now moved to enriching and learning on a whole new level of understanding.
Those basics that have been laid in over the years will help you in the middle school years. The habits of pre-testing, practicing and testing spelling words weekly will garner your preteen a vocabulary mountain to work from. Each step forward is a success.
While you have moved from the early years to more advanced learning don’t forget or stop what got you here.
Keep reading, reading, reading
Have time set aside to read. Try all sorts of different books from textbooks, to living books, to books of different era so your preteen sees many different words to naturally add to their growing vocabulary.
I wanted to be sure that there were no gaps in our homeschool so I turned to spelling curriculum for my children. The Teach Them Diligently families we asked did the same and came up with a wonderful list of curriculum options to choose from.
We asked our fellow homeschooling Teach Them Diligently families what do you recommend as a Middle School Spelling and Vocabulary curriculum choice? We compiled their choices about this and 39 other levels and subjects of curriculum in our FREE Homeschool Family Favorite Guide .
Top 10 choices for Middle School Spelling and Vocabulary Curriculum
- Wordly Wise 3000 Wordly Wise provides engaging, contextual vocabulary instruction. A fantastic homeschool vocabulary curriculum from Educators Publishing Service, this bestseller is a top vocabulary pick!
- All About Spelling All About Spelling homeschool spelling curriculum will provide complete and comprehensive spelling instruction using the Orton-Gillingham approach. Mastery-based, All About Spelling teaches encoding skills, reliable spelling rules, and multisensory strategies to help your homeschooled student become a proficient speller for life.
- Spelling Power From the website: “Spelling Power has everything you need to teach spelling words and skills to your entire family to the college level. With Spelling Power, your children will master the 5,000 most frequently used words and key spelling principles at their own pace – in just 15 minutes a day—using research- proven strategies.”
Keep Doing What Works
Are you curious how you can continue with products you used in elementary years on through the middle school years? Some have levels that match their age/grade. Others will give great tips on how to adjust the previous methods to keep learning.
All About Spelling has a great article they wrote: Using All About Spelling with Older Students
Keep Reading Aloud!
Also don’t toss out the things that were working like reading aloud to your child. Yes, they are old enough to read to themselves but reading aloud is a great thing. It is a bonding experience for your whole family. It allows a child that is still learning how to fluidly and fluently read to just enjoy and immerse themselves in a story. Keep on reading aloud as a family.
- Sequential Spelling
- Excellence in Spelling: Phonetic Zoo
- English form the Roots Up
- A Reason for Spelling
The middle school years are an exciting jump forward in understanding and learning. Spelling and vocabulary are a vital part of that leap in learning. Using these outstanding curriculum options you can be sure you are doing your very best to help you preteen succeed. Homeschooling your middle schooler and teaching them spelling and vocabulary just got easier, enjoy!
This is just the beginning of many home education curriculum recommendations. Here is our FREE downloadable Homeschool Family Favorite Guide with many other top 10 recommendation by fellow homeschooling families.
If you would like to read more about learning to read Click below: