*This page may contain affiliate links. For more information please see our disclosure page/privacy statement for more information.
Do you want your teen to succeed in life? There is proof that the better your teen’s vocabulary the more successful they will be. They are seen as intelligent, thoughtful and a person to trust. Think about that. Those annoying pretests and spelling tests we slog through week in week out are creating a foundation of success.
Our teens might not see it now but we do. It’s important to keep pushing spelling and vocabulary in the high school years. Thankfully you no longer have to teach the rules of spelling so your time on this subject will be greatly diminished. A short but intense teaching and follow up through out the week is often all that spelling at high school level calls for.
These Top 10 Spelling and Vocabulary Curriculum Choices are superb options for your high school student. We asked our fellow homeschooling Teach Them Diligently families what do you recommend as a High School Spelling and Vocabulary curriculum choice? We compiled their choices about this and 39 other levels and subjects of curriculum in our FREE Homeschool Family Favorite Guide .
TOP 10 choices for High School Spelling and Vocabulary Curriculum
- Wordly Wise 3000 Wordly Wise provides engaging, contextual vocabulary instruction. A fantastic homeschool vocabulary curriculum from Educators Publishing Service, this bestseller is a top vocabulary pick!
- Spelling Power From the website: “Spelling Power has everything you need to teach spelling words and skills to your entire family to the college level. With Spelling Power, your children will master the 5,000 most frequently used words and key spelling principles at their own pace – in just 15 minutes a day—using research- proven strategies.”
- Abeka From the website“Each grade will give you lessons for 170 school days. Your child will have engaging books written and edited by skilled, experienced Christian educators. You’ll have teaching aids, clear lesson plans, and the option of expertly taught lessons on video.”
Working Towards Higher Test Scores
As a parent of a high school student the high stakes testing like SAT, ACT and AP courses were always looming. Tests results all around are higher for teens with a large vocabulary even in areas that are not language arts based. If your teen knows the vocabulary going in then they don’t have to struggle with the wording of questions and can focus just on the answers.
- All About Spelling
- Excellence in Spelling: Phonetic Zoo (by Institute for Excellence in Writing)
- Spelling Wisdom (by Simply Charlotte Mason)
- Spelling You See
College Admissions, Scholarships, and Better Jobs
Then there is the whole adult world that looks kindly on those with a wider vocabulary base and good spelling. From college essays that may dictate whether or not they get into a preferred college or get a scholarship. To employment paperwork where employers have been known to simply throw out those with misspelling immediately. Grumbly teen angst or not our teens need to continue learning spelling and vocabulary through their entire education.
Whether your teen loves new words or struggles finding the joy in spelling & vocabulary we need to urge them to keep learning. There are serious and notable perks to having a strong foundation in language they can pull from. Their adult job prospect go up. Their possibilities for college is broad and scholarships could be in the picture. In general our teens will become articulate educated Christians that shine into the world.
This is just the beginning of many home education curriculum recommendations. Here is our FREE downloadable Homeschool Family Favorite Guide with many other top 10 recommendation by fellow homeschooling families.