Marriage has become a lost beauty – a lost journey of grace. It isn’t often we are blessed to glean the wisdom from those who honor their covenant vows for many years. We pray that this Journey of Grace – this opportunity to read Lessons Learned over 50 Years of Marriage will encourage you in your walk…..
We celebrated our 50TH anniversary on February 2nd; it has been a wonderful journey. I come to humbly offer some advice that has kept our love alive and our hearts knit together through our “Journey of Grace.” I pray you will heed these Scriptural principles so your love and your marriage will be an example to your children and to those lives you touch through the years.
- A successful marriage requires commitment for a lifetime. Remember you made a vow to God and to your mate.
- Love is a choice.
- Walk in love, walk as children of light, be filled with the Spirit, and submit yourself to him as unto the Lord. Ephesians 6
- Don’t forget your first love. Pursue him like you did before he proposed.
- Memorize and heed 1 Corinthians 13
- Don’t let the sun go down on your wrath (anger). Ephesians 4:26-32, Proverbs 15:1
- Always forgive…it’s always your turn!
- Till the weeds in your garden of love. A marriage is give and take but mostly give.
- Always be best friends.
- Life isn’t always sunshine; learn to survive the storms with the Lord’s help.
- Don’t try to change him. You loved him like he was when you married him.
- Glorify God together. Romans 15:7 “Therefore receive one another, just as Christ also received us, to the glory of God.”
- Agree to wait when you disagree. Don’t insist on always having your way. You aren’t always right! (You are commanded to submit.)
- Don’t share the most intimate or the most controversial issues with your mom or your friends.
- Never override his decisions with your children. Always have a united front!!
- Study the Word like you did for your hardest exam. You need more than a light devotional.
- Memorize the Word. Psalm 119: 11
- Meditate on the Word. Joshua 1:8
- Learn to pray together every day. If you stay in the Word and on your knees, the problems become nonissues.
- Use the Bible as your guide. Psalm 119: 105
- Share your faith. When you tell others about Christ, it is one of the most intimate forms of worship.
REMEMBER: We are engaged in Spiritual Warfare! Satan wants your marriage, your testimony, and your family, but “Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world.” 1 John 4:4
Download the FREE Printable –> Journey of Grace
Fruitful Growth in the Faith
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins. 10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The Lord has equipped you to live godly and will empower you to be an example to others. Be sure that you know Christ in a personal way. May the Lord bless you as your continue your journey together. We give the Lord the praise and glory for His goodness to us. We are where we are today because of Christ alone.
Lovingly, Sherry Sturm